Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Save a Tree - Rediscover the Library

Okay, I will be the first to admit that going to the library isn't revolutionary. But I am thrilled to report that I have finally rediscovered my public library.

I don't know why I abandoned such a happy place. Growing up with little money, the library was always the place I knew I could find free entertainment. But as I grew older, my financial situation changed and I found myself thrilled to spend hours in Barnes & Noble or scouring amazon.com for my latest read.

My book piles expanded and I found myself happily lending books to friends or donating them to Goodwill (the books, not my friends). As I looked at those mounds and mounds of titles, I began to wonder if all of that consumerism was really necessary. After all, it wasn't like I was going to read any of those books again.

So this summer, I decided to reaquaint myself with my public library. Just walking through the front door, I was transported back to my childhood and felt the rush of excitement from the possibilities that lay before me. Okay, a little dramatic but I WAS thrilled to find the book that I wanted (which wasn't available at the local B&N) and shocked to discover the library's wide selection of DVDs and CDs.

From now on I plan to save my book money and a few trees by using my local library more often. Plus, I now have a new place to donate all my books for others to enjoy. What a novel (ahem) idea.

0 comments: